At this year’s Sewing Weekender inside my goodie bag was some lovely soft viscose fabric from Stoff & Stil, which I deliberated over how best to use. In the end I decided it would be perfect for a Cashmerette Webster Top. For my first attempt I used some Liberty Tana Lawn from the Liberty Man inside the Rag Market. This was not a good plan, let me explain.
I got really ill over the summer, but was determined to try to fulfil some of my summer sewing plans. As you can imagine, this did not turn out so well. But I now have a beautiful pj top! I now need to make some matching shorts or trousers. However, all was not lost, because I got to practise several techniques including the lovely cross over strap detail on the back, which is what drew me to the pattern in the first place.
So, step up the beautifully drapey (pattern appropriate viscose). It was a match made in heaven! Looking at the size chart I needed a size 14 for the shoulders and bust, I fall between the 20 and 22 for the waist and again between a size 16 and 18 for the hips. I decided to cut a size 14 for the shoulders and bust; I then graded to a size 16 for the waist and hips based on the finished measurements. In my toile I just turned the hem, but for the real one I used a facing as instructed. I think in my stupor I cut a size too big (18), so I had to do a bit of bodging. But I think I managed to make it work in the end. I slip stitched the facing following a tutorial from Megan Nielsen.
Based on my toile I decided to add waist ties to give me some more waist definition.
I am really pleased with how it turned out. So, I immediately rushed out and bought two more fabrics to make up into Websters. They will go great under cardigans for work as we go into autumn and I can always whip my cardi off if the sun (ever) comes out. September weather is usually really good, so I hope the sun does come out again, so I can get a bit more wear out of them.
Next year I will definitely have a go at the dress, as I really like the idea of a colour blocked version.