A TOFT ‘Cobblestone’ Hat

I went to a Mosaic Knitting workshop at TOFT UK earlier this year and later saw the Cobblestone Hat pattern and was inspired to make it for the autumn. I have only dabbled in colour work (read a 1/4 finished pair of mittens) once before, so I thought this would be a nice achievable project.

 

toft_cobblestone_hat_knitting_medium

I bought a kit from the shop and used TOFT Mushroom DK 50gTOFT Green DK yarn 25g and a TOFT Pom Pom Cocoa. The cast on was pretty straight forward and then the colour work and fun began. I was knitting away thinking I would have it finished in the recommended 5 to 10 hours when I figured my hat looked nothing like the pattern and was pretty tiny. After a while I realised I had been reading the pattern wrong and not repeating any of the rows. Then began the painful task of unpicking. There are a lot of slipped stitches in this pattern, so it was not easy. But, I have learned so much from messing up my knitting over the past year and half. So, although I cursed like a sailor, I was pretty happy throughout this project.

Life and other projects caught my attention and before I knew it six months had passed and my hat was no further along. So I picked it up again a few weeks ago and wouldn’t you know I made exactly the same mistake as I did the first time! Cue unpicking to the nth degree. It’s fine, it’s all learning. Right? Right.

Thankfully, I pushed through and I am now the proud owner of a new hat.

 

It is a one size fits all pattern and the instructions to block the hat flat, which I did, but I think I may have to go at it again with a balloon, because it’s not quite the ‘perfect fit’ yet; I need a bit of extra room for my natural hair, which seems to be getting bigger by the day. I am also considering lining it somehow with silk, because the wool seems to suck all of the joy (moisture) out of my hair and leaves me with serious hat hair. Have you ever done this? Did it help?

I thought  I had killed the pom pom after it had been in the water, it looked like Dr. Watson after one of his baths only worse.  But I am happy to report it made a full recovery and now looks slightly curly, which I think looks seriously cute.

I am still really pleased with the finished article and best of all it goes with my mushroom TOFT Skeleton scarf that I made a few years ago!

My next project is a pair of mittens, not the ones I mentioned earlier a different pair. Haha! Like I said I am easily distracted.

Happy knitting!

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “A TOFT ‘Cobblestone’ Hat

Hi, thanks for visiting sewmyown. Please leave a comment, it would be lovely to hear from you.

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s